Living the Real Housewives life seems to be full of glitz, glam and plenty of drama, but most of the theatrics are typically reserved for the small screen. Not so in the Garden State, where Real Housewives of New Jersey star Teresa Giudice and hubby Joe Giudice have been battling with courts and prison sentences for the past decade. Read on for all of the milestones in their ongoing legal woes, and what might possibly come next for the lavish couple.
Related: How much are The Real Housewives of New Jersey worth?
Flipping out over success
A change of heart
"The indictment returned [by a grand jury] today alleges the Giudices lied to the bankruptcy court, to the IRS and to a number of banks," U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman said in a statement at the time. "Everyone has an obligation to tell the truth when dealing with the courts, paying their taxes and applying for loans or mortgages. That's reality."
RELATED: A timeline of Teresa and Joe's love story.
Meanwhile Teresa fought to vindicate herself in the “court of public opinion” by launching a $5 million malpractice suit against original bankruptcy lawyer James Kridel. As the pair came to an agreement, courts decided 55 per cent of any awards could be kept by the Giudices, and creditors were entitled to the other 45 per cent.
RELATED: The zodiac signs of the most famous housewives.
An inner and outer transformation
Joe’s other legal troubles
At the time the judge called Joe’s driving record “mind-boggling” (how else do you describe 39 license suspensions?) and said that if the reality star so much as moved cars around his driveway that it would constitute a violation of the conditions of his bail and he’d be arrested.
Joe enters prison
While in prison, Joe has kept himself busy by working out up to five times a day, and he’s shed more than 45 pounds as a result. Meanwhile unsubstantiated reports of Joe and his buddies making moonshine behind bars have surfaced, leading some to speculate whether Teresa, who has spoken out about her husband’s alcoholism and the need for him to shape up, will leave Joe once he’s released. The family attorney, James Leonard, has denied all drinking allegations.
Related: How Teresa is dealing with Joe being locked up in prison
More legal woes
A murky future
Joe released from prison
While nothing has been confirmed either way, we can’t wait to tune in and see what happens next.
Joe Guidice is allowed to stay in the US
Related: The richest Real Housewives power couples.
Joe Giudice requests deportation
The Giudice family attorney James Leonard Jr. was not impressed with how Joe was treated during his stay in prison, saying, "What is happening to Joe Giudice and to his family and thousands of other families regarding these draconian immigration laws is nothing short of inhumane."
The family visits Joe Giudice in Italy
Joe maintains that he has no regrets about leaving the United States. "I've learned a valuable lesson from all this, and I know my family is the most important thing to me. But it's better that I'm out here than in there," he shared with The Daily Dish.
Teresa Giudice doesn’t have solid plans to return to Italy
In an appearance on Good Morning America, Teresa said she doesn’t see herself going to Italy by herself to see Joe. "I don't know about that," she said. "We'll see. I don't know."
Continue to watch the Giudice family drama unfold on The Real Housewives of New Jersey on Slice.ca.