Natural, organic beauty products are trending this year and it can be super tempting to drop your next pay cheque on the hippest green beauty brands at Sephora. But if you want to save yourself a pretty penny, then you might want to consider trying out one of these DIY alternatives first. From a 3-ingredient DIY makeup brush cleaner to an easy coconut hair mask, you’ll love whipping up these homemade beauty concoctions.
DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner
DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner Recipe
2 tablespoons of unscented, liquid soap.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and stir with spoon.
2. Soak dirty brushes in mixture for 10-15 minutes.
3. Rinse brush bristles with tap water and lay out to dry.
4. Make each batch of cleaner as needed.
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask Recipe
1/4 cup of organic, cold-pressed Moroccan argan oil
1/4 cup of castor oil
1 egg yolk
1. Pour ingredients into a bowl and whisk until mixture reaches a smooth, milky consistency.
2. Apply enough product to cover the scalp and ends of hair.
3. Leave mask on for 20 minutes and thoroughly rinse out.
4. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 2-3 days.
DIY Body Butter
DIY Body Butter Recipe
1/4 cup of cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup of pure shea butter
1/4 cup of pure, cold-pressed rose hip seed oil
2-3 drops of pure essential oil (optional)
1. Use a mortar and pestle or blender to grind the pure cocoa butter into a fine powder.
2. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whip until the mixture reaches a fluffy, buttery consistency.
3. Mix in a few drops of essential oil for fragrance.
4. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within one week.
DIY Body Scrub
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: 10 common beauty mistakes you might be making.
DIY Body Scrub Recipe
1/2 cup of cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup of carrier oil (i.e. argan or jojoba oil)
1. Pour ingredients into a bowl and whisk until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
2. After your body wash, apply scrub to exfoliate in the shower and rinse away.
3. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within a week.
SEE ALSO: 5 mistakes you're making with coconut oil and how to fix them.