There are a lot of secrets that pilots know, but keep to themselves. A few of them are things you’re probably better off not knowing. And a few are secrets that, once you know them, can make air travel a little bit better. Flying over the holidays? Here are 35 secrets pilots won’t tell you, but we will.
1. Morning flights are the smoothest
Here are 20 reasons why Canadian travellers are loved abroad.
2. Airplane breakdowns happen
3. Pilots sleep
See even more surprising facts you didn't know about flying.
4. Pilots eat different food
5. Bumpy landings are often done by pilots on purpose
6. Planes get hit by lightning
7. Limited emergency oxygen while flying
8. The truth about air traffic control delays
So if you're stuck spending more time on a plane than you might've planned for, try these 20 things to do when you're bored on a plane.
9. Avoid the coffee (and tea and water) on flights
10. Pilots make seatbelt sign errors
11. Guns are allowed in the cockpit on US flights
12. Some planes pilots fly are really old
13. Flight recorders aren’t indestructible
14. Plane flaps can signal a secret problem
15. Germs are everywhere on the aircraft
For more on where to avoid, check out the filthiest spots on airplanes and in airports.
16. Passenger jets can glide
17. Turbulence isn’t a problem for pilots
18. Sit over the wings for a smooth flight
Just like your flight there, we're pretty sure you want your entire trip to go smoothly, too. To ensure all goes well, don't forget any of these 20 things you should always travel with.
19. Pilots can’t delay a flight for connecting flights
20. A baby on the lap is dangerous on planes
21. There’s a secret latch on your flight’s lavatory door
22. Not all passengers are alive on your flight
23. Many pets don’t like to fly
24. Distant storms can impact your flight
25. No secret way to score free hotel rooms
If you do, here are some insider hotel secrets that will help make your stay more comfortable: 20 secrets hotel managers don't want you to know.
26. Buy flights directly from the airline
27. Airline employees enjoy free flights
28. The ambulance effect secret
29. Armrest secret
30. Pilots still fly
31. Bag locks don’t work
32. No wonder airplane coffee is gross
33. Baggage still gets abused by airlines
34. The pilot and co-pilot are equal
35. Flight attendants have inside knowledge
That's why, says one commenter on Knowable.com, you'll see jerks being treated nicely.
Want more? Be sure not to miss 20 expert flying tips for winter weather.