Unless you’re from Winnipeg (or have visited), you may not know much about this Prairie city with a population of more than 700,000. Yes, it gets cold in the winter. And there are mosquitoes in the summer. And the corner of Portage and Main is windy. But there is much more to the city than those things.
Here are ten things that you probably didn’t know about Winnipeg:
1. The Canadian Museum of Human Rights
2. Winnie-the-Pooh is Named After Winnipeg
3. It’s the Slurpee Capital of the World
4. Union Station Design
5. The First City With 911
6. The Royal Winnipeg Ballet
7. They Make Money Here
8. The Most Restaurants
9. The World’s Longest Skating Rink
10. The Winnipeg Walkway System
The system is a network of tunnels and overhead walkways that link a large part of the downtown core. The system connects shops, malls, hotels and business buildings via 14 skyways and seven tunnels. According to the CBC, some people have made a game of seeing how far they can go without going outside. About 2 km or nine blocks.