People are crazy about money, and saving money, and… well… people are just plain crazy in general. How can you tell if someone’s crazy? Well, they might offer up some of the following ‘money saving tips’. Here are the 10 worst ways people try and save a buck:
1. Sleep in airports instead of getting a hotel
“it may sound a little cheap and degrading at first”
It is. Stop it. Unless this years PolarVortex 2.0 has got you stuck out East, take yourself a bed and actually enjoy your vacation.
2. Buy EVERYTHING in bulk
If you’re young, eat out lots, or have a small (or non-existent) at-home family, buying anything perishable in bulk is a waste of time and cash. Sure, you can save $0.34/litre on mayo, but you might need to be buying it by the oil drum. Plan a few meals, buy what you can eat, and then you’ll actually save some money.
3. Cut your own hair – barbers are expensive
Cutting your hair could save you money on a trip to the barber… but your hat budget is really going to explode.
Only use free condiments from restaurants
5. Drive across the border to get cheap gas
6. If it’s on-sale, you’re saving money
7. Just pay the minimum on your credit card bill
8. If you can Google it, you can do it yourself
9. Insurance isn’t important if you’re careful
To SFW paraphrase Chris Rock, they shouldn’t call it ‘insurance’; they should call it ‘in case sh#t’. In case it happens, you need to be ready for it. Whether you get into a crash, or your apartment gets broken into, or your dishwasher lasagna explodes (keep reading), you’ll want to have some piece of mind.
10. Save money on electricity, by combining appliance use (cook lasagna in the dishwasher)
Mythbusters tackled this topic, and… it actually works. But the only way this could put you in a meaningfully positive financial direction, is if it wins you a bet vs. a skeptical cook.