DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner and 3 More Natural Beauty Products to Make at Home
Natural, organic beauty products are trending this year and it can be super tempting to drop your next pay cheque on the hippest green beauty brands at Sephora. But if you want to save yourself a pretty penny, then you might want to consider trying out one of these DIY alternatives first.
From a 3-ingredient DIY makeup brush cleaner to an all-natural coconut hair mask, you'll be amazed how easy it is to whip up homemade beauty concoctions at home.
DIY Makeup Brush CleanerIf you are a makeup junkie and use a variety of brushes on a daily basis, finding an effective and affordable cleaner can be challenging. Luckily all you need is some soap, olive oil, and water to create your own brush cleaner at home — and you can save that extra coin for your next foundation instead! For sensitive skin types, we suggest using a fragrance-free soap to avoid potential irritation. A body wash formulated for babies or a multi-purpose castille soap are both great options.
DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner Recipe1 cup of warm water
2 tablespoons of unscented, liquid soap.
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and stir with spoon.
2. Soak dirty brushes in mixture for 10-15 minutes.
3. Rinse brush bristles with tap water and lay out to dry.
4. Make each batch of cleaner as needed.
DIY Coconut Oil Hair MaskNourish your scalp and promote healthy, strong hair with this easy DIY coconut oil hair mask! We suggest applying this mask on the scalp and on the ends of your hair. Coconut oil will help hydrate the scalp, argan oil will give the hair a silky sheen, castor oil will promote hair growth, and vitamin-rich egg yolk will help protect the hair from damage.
DIY Coconut Oil Hair Mask Recipe1/4 cup of cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup of organic, cold-pressed Moroccan argan oil
1/4 cup of castor oil
1 egg yolk
1. Pour ingredients into a bowl and whisk until mixture reaches a smooth, milky consistency.
2. Apply enough product to cover the scalp and ends of hair.
3. Leave mask on for 20 minutes and thoroughly rinse out.
4. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 2-3 days.
DIY Body ButterIt only takes five ingredients and 20 minutes to whip up a luxurious, homemade body butter that’s moisturizing, anti-aging, and smells good enough to eat. Emollient coconut oil and cocoa butter will leave your skin feeling moisturized and smooth, while shea butter and rose hip seed oil are rich in Vitamin A and essential fatty acids, which will help target signs of age, textural irregularities, and maintain overall skin health. If you like scented body products, you can also add a few drops of any essential oil to this recipe.
DIY Body Butter Recipe1/4 cup of pure cocoa butter
1/4 cup of cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup of pure shea butter
1/4 cup of pure, cold-pressed rose hip seed oil
2-3 drops of pure essential oil (optional)
1. Use a mortar and pestle or blender to grind the pure cocoa butter into a fine powder.
2. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whip until the mixture reaches a fluffy, buttery consistency.
3. Mix in a few drops of essential oil for fragrance.
4. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within one week.
DIY Body ScrubIf you are looking for an all-natural, body exfoliant, look no further than your kitchen cupboard. With some organic brown sugar, cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, and a carrier oil of your choice (i.e. Moroccan argan oil, jojoba oil), you can slough away dead skin cells and achieve smoother, softer skin in no time!
You might also like: 10 common beauty mistakes you might be making.
DIY Body Scrub Recipe1 cup of organic brown sugar
1/2 cup of cold-pressed, virgin coconut oil
1/2 cup of carrier oil (i.e. argan or jojoba oil)
1. Pour ingredients into a bowl and whisk until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
2. After your body wash, apply scrub to exfoliate in the shower and rinse away.
3. Store excess product in an airtight container in the fridge and use within a week.