20 Rules to Live By in 2013
Skip the resolutions and try following some simple rules to healthy, active and happy living in 2013. Follow them all or pick and choose the ones you could benefit from the most. Most can and should be applied daily; others weekly or monthly, it's entirely up to you.
- Walk 30 to 60 minutes daily, in one shot or small segments throughout the day.
- Fuel your body with whole foods.
- Rest your mind and body properly every night.
- Play and let loose with family, friends and pets.
- Sweat (or at least glisten) every day.
- Love and care for yourself as much as you do for others.
- Hydrate your body by drinking water throughout the day.
- Exercise vigorously 15 to 30 minutes three times a week.
- Try something new every month: one new recipe and one new activity or exercise.
- Meditate to clear your mind and find focus.
- Appreciate all that life offers you.
- Laugh out loud, often.
- Build strong muscles and bones with weight training.
- Be yourself in all that you do.
- Breathe. Close your eyes and take five to seven deep breaths. Inhale slowly through your nose and exhale slowly through your nose. Try it before you start your day, at bedtime and anytime in between when you just need a moment of serenity.
- Do it. Whatever it is you think about doing, you plan on doing, you wish you were doing, you've been meaning to do. Go do it!
- Plank 30 seconds every other day to train your core.
- Pay it forward. Be aware of your surroundings and be proactive: lend a hand, give up a seat on the bus or hold a door open for the person behind you. Smile and say thank you when someone helps you.
- Get fit with push-ups. As many as you can in 30 seconds. Ladies, get on your toes! I know you can!
- Escape your comfort zone at least once a month. No matter how uncomfortable or scary you think it is. Remember the first time will be the hardest and it won't be as bad as you imagine. You will grow and learn from the experience, you will not live a life of what ifs, and you may even find it refreshing.
Print the list or write down your favourites, add your own rules and share them with friends and family. Post your selection where you can see it daily. Get started now!
Katya Mohsen is a personal trainer with more than 10 years of experience in fitness and sports training. Catch her practical fitness advice Thursdays on Slice.ca.