What to Wear for Valentine’s Day
Love it or hate it -- when it comes to fashion, Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to embrace gorgeous pinks, reds and this season’s hottest trends.
Whether you have a romantic date lined up or are planning on keeping things casual with your best girlfriends, here’s some fashion inspiration to get you in the mood for February 14th.
1. Lingerie: I’m a firm believer that you should always wear lingerie that you like and makes you feel good. However, if there is any day on the calendar which calls for wearing pretty underthings, it’s Valentine’s Day! Choose something that’s comfortable and makes you feel sexy, like this delicate lace-trimmed push-up bra by PINK (US $35) and a pair of cheeky, animal print hip-hugging panties (US $11).
2. The perfect red dress: Nothing says “Be my Valentine” like a gorgeous red dress. This flirty skater style dress by Topshop ($100) is the just the right mix of chic and sexy. Pair it with a pair of seductive heels or cute flats and you have the perfect outfit for a romantic dinner or night out with friends.
3. Heart patterned shirt: Planning on keeping it low-key on the 14th? Get the the spirit of the holiday with a sheer heart patterned shirt like this Love Ballad Tunic (US $38). Pair it with your favourite pair of skinnies and some ankle boots for a look that’s equal parts romance and downtown cool.
4. Heart stud earrings: For the fashion-lovers out there who want to pay homage to Saint Valentine without going overboard, these adorable Tory Burch heart stud earrings ($68) add just the right touch of romance to your outfit.
5. Charm bracelet: Classic and elegant, show your love with a sterling silver heart charm bracelet like this one by Thomas Sabo ($279).
6. Ankle strap pump: Where would the perfect dress be without the perfect pair of shoes? Old Hollywood glamour meets new-school sex appeal with a pair of sassy ankle strap peep-toe pumps like these rhinestone-detailed heels (US $108). Pair them with your favourite cocktail dress and have fun turning heads.
7. Aphrodisiac infused lip-gloss: Aphrodisiacs stimulate amorous feelings and just plain old feel-good feelings, too! Get in the mood for Valentine’s Day with some aphrodisiac-infused Kissaholic Lipgloss by Booty Parlor ($16). Not only does it moisturize your lips and add a hint of colour, it’s infused with an exotic blend of aphrodisiac ingredients designed to inspire desire, including Ginkgo Biloba, Ginger, Passion Flower and Phenylethylamine -- also known as the "Molecule of Love."
8. Heart-shaped clutch: Hard framed metal clutches are all the rage, so why not accessorize your look on February 14th with a jewelled heart-shaped clutch ($149)? Wear it with a sleek body-con dress and some smoky eyes for a look that’s sure to break hearts.
Simone Paget is a freelance writer and the author of Skinny Dip, a cheeky blog about love, sex, relationships and everything in between. When she’s not writing her heart out, she loves wandering around her city, large cup of coffee in hand, in search of the next great story.