1. The average price for a tummy tuck can start at $3,000.00 and be as high as $8,000.00
2. 121,653 people had a tummy tuck in 2008 in the US.
3. What you should know…
- Most commonly, your surgeon will make a long incision from hipbone to hipbone, just above the pubic area. The scar from this incision will fade but will be permanent. Typically this scar is low enough to hide under your underwear waistband.
- Before the doctor closes your incision he will insert drainage tubes to help drain excess liquid that collects as you heal. Typically you will have the drainage tubes in from 1 to 2 weeks.
- Surface stitches will be removed in five to seven days, and deeper sutures, with ends that protrude through the skin, will come out in two to three weeks.
- The dressing on your incision will most likely be replaced by a support garment within a week. The garment can be worn from 1 to 6 weeks depending on what your doctor recommends for you.
- You will need to plan 2 weeks of rest after your surgery. If you are in good shape going into the surgery then your healing time will be much shorter. Its important to get on a low impact exercise regime as soon as you feel able to help with healing.
4. The number of people having tummy tuck surgery dropped 18% from 2007 to 2008, that’s 26,757 less people.
5. Tummy tucks ranks 5th in the top five most popular cosmetic surgical procedures. Breast augmentation being at the top of the list.
6. There are 2 types of tummy tucks; a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck. When you have your consult with your doctor be sure to discuss both options. The mini tummy tuck is less invasive with a smaller incision as opposed to the full tummy tuck which lifts the skin right up to the breasts.
7. 10% of tummy tuck patients are between the ages of 20-29. 41% of patients are between the ages of 40-54. 34% are 30-39 and 15% are 55 and over.
8. 4,786 men got a tummy tuck last in the in US which makes up 4% of the total number of people who had one.
9. Your scars may actually appear to worsen during the first three to six months as they heal, but this is normal. Expect it to take nine months to a year before your scars flatten out and lighten in color. While they'll never disappear completely, abdominal scars will not show under most clothing, even under bathing suits.
10. In most cases, the results of a tummy tuck are long lasting, if you follow a balanced diet and exercise regularly.
Written By: The producers of Plastic Makes Perfect
Watch the new season of Plastic Makes Perfect in the video centre!
Be sure to check out Episode 3027 for Crystal's tummy tuck and Episode 3035 for Jill's tummy tuck.
DISCLAIMER: This information is for entertainment purposes only. The recommendations may not work for you, and should not take the place of the recommendations made by your own medical personnel. We are not responsible for the outcomes of any recommendations.