Ask An Expert: Maria, What Foods Are Best to Boost My Fiber Intake?
Q: Maria, everyone's talking about assisting their digestion by taking in more fiber. I always thought I did - until I saw how much you need a day. Can you give me pointers on what foods are the best to boost my fiber intake and give examples via a diet? - Carol
A: The daily target for fibre, is 25 grams daily for women, age 19-50. You may be eating a variety of foods, including fruits and vegetables and whole grains, but when you actually take a look at how many grams of fibre are in 1 serving of fruit, vegetable, or whole wheat bread, you start to see how much you need to eat in order to reach your daily target. Some foods are higher in fibre than others, so the key is to start emphasizing those in your diet.
- pear ~ 5 grams of fibre
- raspberries or blackberries ~ 4 grams in 1/2 cup
- apple ~ 2.6 grams of fibre
- green peas ~ 5.6 grams in 1/2 cup
- brussels sprouts ~ 3 grams in 4 sprouts
- corn, carrots or broccoli ~ 2-2.3 grams in 1/2 cup
- All Bran/bran buds cereal ~ 10-14 grams of fibre in 1/3 - 1/2 cup
- whole grain breads ~ 2-5 grams of fibre per slice
- brown rice ~ 2 grams in 1/2 cup
- black beans ~ 10-11 grams in 3/4 cup
- kidney beans ~ 8 grams in 3/4 cup
Yours in nutrition,
Nutrition Expert for The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp
Do you have a question for one of our Experts? Submit your question to email@example.com.
Check out other health/diet related articles written by Maria Thomas!
Slice is now on Twitter. Follow us to find out the latest on your favourite shows!
Become a fan of slice.ca on Facebook!