Have a Designer Holiday
Designer Gifts on a Dime
Every year as the December holidays approach, desperate and often frantic shoppers fly in and out of stores, searching for those perfect gifts for everyone on their list. With a fixed seasonal budget (yes, everyone should have one) certain stores can seem out of bounds because of their notoriously high price points. But getting something special and fabulous for your favourite people is definitely within grasp. In many cases you can find a designer gift that will knock ‘em dead for under $100. It may sound impossible unless you have this shopping guide handy.
Why bother shopping for designer items? Quite simply, for quality and pure extravagance as we are all wont to indulge in, now and again. There are always fashionable loopholes that even a pair of Dior shades can’t hide. The best ways to find high-end items for under $100:
- Aim for designer diffusion lines that have the same fashion element while being far more affordable than their predecessors. Lines like Marc by Marc Jacobs, Michael by Michael Kors and Betseyville are perfect examples.
- Look at smaller accessories and business items that can work for anyone. You might be surprised that they are far more attainable than you thought. Don’t be shy to ask how much things are or let sales people intimidate you. You can always do some preliminary research online.
- Check out places like Winners and local designer outlets in your area. The prices are usually fantastic but you will have to do some digging. Sample sales are a label-lover’s dream. Brands and stores will often sell off their overstock and clothing samples at bargain prices.
Still not convinced it’s possible? I’ve taken all the guesswork out of your affordable designer label hunt and put together my picks for an upscale Christmas.
Gifts for Her
1. Weekend MaxMara synthetic, stretchy tees, and three-quarter-length round neck and v-neck tops in multiple colours are perfect for just about any woman. Price range: $85–$95. Available at MaxMara stores, MaxMara.com.
2. Betsey Johnson pink crochet hat adorned with pink ribbon and knitted rosette and a pair of matching gloves work best on the girly girl. Price range: $50 each. www.betseyjohnson.com
3. Marc by Marc Jacobs red patent-leather circular change purse with logo is a must-have for the woman on the go. Price range: $75, available at Holt Renfrew, www.marcjacobs.com.
4. Burberry classic nova check headband should crown a lovely lady who adores her hair. Price range: $85, available at Holt Renfrew, www.burberry.com.
5. Wolford luxurious tights in multiple colours, patterns, and styles are perfect for the woman looking to show a little leg this winter. Price range: $37–$95. Available at Vancouver boutique, Toronto boutique www.wolford.com.
Gifts for Him
1. Cole Haan leather money clip works well for the old-fashioned man who likes to pay in cash. Price range: $60–$75. www.colehaan.com.
2. Hugo Boss petite silver cufflinks are always the right fit for the men in your life who love to dress up. Price range: $90–$100, available at Harry Rosen, www.hugoboss.com.
3. D&G white cotton boxer brief with gold logo is a fantastic gift for the man in your life that shouldn’t be wearing much else! Price range: $45. www.dolcegabbana.com.
4. Ermenegildo Zegna Scottish cotton socks are the essential “can’t go wrong” gift for men. Price range: $42–$50. Available at www.harryrosen.com, www.zegna.com.
5. Armani Collezioni dusty blue cotton blend, button-down shirt is classic for the serious businessman. Price range: $100, available at Winners, www.armanicollezioni.com.
Gifts for Home
Tiffany hand-cut, full-lead crystal square bowl would sparkle in any living space. Price range: $75. Available at Tiffany stores, www.tiffany.ca.
Kate Spade 5x7 silver picture frame with green inner trim would be ideal with a smiling picture of your family in it. Price range: $67. Available at William Ashley, www.williamashley.com, www.katespade.com.
Monique Lhuillier for Royal Doulton Atelier crystal champagne flutes suggest a romantic evening to come for the lucky recipients. Price range $60 for a set of two. Available at the Bay, www.thebay.ca, www.mlforrd.com.
Written by: Diana Cina