Survive a Summer Wedding with Tips on What NOT to Wear
Renee Strauss, owner of Beverly Hills bridal boutique Renee Strauss for the Bride and host of Slice show Brides of Beverly Hills, shares her top 5 do's and don'ts for summer wedding fashion:
1. Brides always come first! After all, they are the main attraction. Stay away from heavy fabrics. Silk chiffon and organza draped and flowing are both lightweight and comfortable alternatives. If you're looking for a more formal look, crisp and fresh silk taffeta with a full ballroom skirt and a flowing train give a lush appearance without being heavy.
2. Grooms in Europe are wearing dashing brocades in ivory and even pastels. I often see linen jackets paired with beautifully tailored trousers.
3. The Mother of the Bride and Mother of the Groom are the First Ladies of the wedding! It's wonderful if they can discuss the colour scheme with the bride. In my part of the world, we even incorporate step-in-laws into the wedding parties, which, if not handled with care can quickly become the out-laws! No matter how stunning these women may be, they cannot possibly upstage the bride. So as long as it is tasteful and culturally/religiously appropriate, they will look beautiful.
4. Bridesmaids chiffon is in! Tea-length/cocktail length is in demand even for more formal weddings but you still cannot go wrong with long, full-length gowns. Designer Bill Levkoff makes flowy bridesmaids dresses with well-constructed bodices that flatter all shapes and sizes. Therefore, I always recommend their line when the bridal party faces these challenges. Eggplant and soft pink are the most popular colour choices!
5. Flowergirls steal the show! The little angels look adorable in just about anything. It is important, however, to be careful that the dresses not be too long. The active living dolls can get very excited and once they start twirling, there can be risk of injury if they stumble on their hemline. Neutrals like white and ivory, depending upon the bride's gown, are the most lovely. If the bride wears white, so should the flowergirls. The same goes for ivory.
Read the blog post where Renee answers our readers' most pressing Summer Wedding questions and watch full episodes of Brides of Beverly Hills in the slice.ca video centre!